Sunday, October 23, 2011

Monopolisto Man Hits Divonne TWO

We agreed to $1000 euros as a stake for this game. We started with identical tens (visiting the jail) and I rolled 7 and got a Get out of Jail card as she rolled another ten (just visiting). We made no purchases until she got Las Vegas Boulevard and I JFK Airport. This meant there was littlechance on this first round to deplete her of her capital.

But one never knows. Each roll can bring fortune or doom. She rolls another long shot and ends up buying Jacobs Field after passing GO and collecting two million.But I roll a mere four and land on Golden Gate Bridge and auction it as I do all expensive properties. She overpays and that amounts to the difference in our stakes as I too come around but sweep by chance all the way to a utility which I buy. I now have just this and the airport. She has twice the property.

We shall see if this round I can deplete her. I do but at a price. She has Camelback so I buy Disney World to ruin a Monopoly chance in the last of the cheaper clusters. She gets the more expensive Wrigley Field adjacent to Las Vegas Boulevard and also Hollywood next to Golden Gate Bridge. Shehas a chance for two monopolies.

I sense her confidence. I pick up two airports, one via auction because she did not have the am up in cash to buy it - my strategy always. But she is not yet destitute. At this point I have only around $6 million to her $4 million. I need to deplete more so that if she gets monopolies she will be too poor to to much with them.

Good fortune lands me on French Quarter which I buy to ruin her incipient monopoly.The only reason I buy expensive properties is to frustrate the creation of monopolies by the opposition.

I then go around and land on Boardwalk which I auction immediately. We both have around four million and would  need to mortgage to win this most expensive of. She caves. I end up paying  $3.5 million so it
is I who am cash poor now.

She appears to be enjoying her position. She has more money and more property. But I have three airports by now due ti good fortune and seek the fourth. And she must still complete her monopoly which will take all she has in cash. There are many pitfalls for both players.

All told, I am feeling as good as she - perhaps a shade better. I have moved from Absinthe to sipping Diet Coke. My friend comes back from Roulette a few hundred euros ahead. He smiles, recognizing my pattern. Utilities and Boardwalk below cost. The opponent is too poor to get it outright.

No comments:

Post a Comment