Sunday, October 23, 2011

Monopolisto Man Hits Divonne THREE

The game has gotten exciting. She lands on Texas Stadium and she now owns the cheapest monopoly, but it has strategic advantages for both sides. She can harass if I land on it. But I can depend on her to buy houses and even hotels so quickly that she is again too cash poor to play with real care.

And so she does. Three houses on each of two spots. Which is good, as I encounter two monumental plays. She lands on the fourth airport and must auction it as she lacks the money to buy it outright and is apparently not smart enough to mortgage property  to enable a purchase. I end up winning the auction for a monumental price. It makes no difference. I have a killer quad of airports that can repeat over time.  As we shall see.

The second monumental play comes when she lands on Fenway Park, my key to the most expensive of monopolies. I already own Boardwalk, recall. To make a long story shor,t I pay almost double value for the Yawkey property and have the best monopoly of all. I am cash poor but well established. I whip by her pesky monopoly and unmortgage a railroad. I wait for her to land there.

I need to regain cash. She is at the end of her capacity to inflict killing damage. She can only win if I am terribly unlucky. We shall see.

The next round brings delicious results. Bear in mind that she cannot really do more than she has done already. This proves doubly the case as I chance to land on White House and buy it, closing off her only other monopoly. To rub it in, I land on her hotel at Texas Stadium and must mortgage White House to pay! There
is little chance that I will be done in many times by this small tariff. Unless she fails to land on my airports. She has landed three times on airports thus far, proving how valuable they are. I may be able to end things soon. Or not.

The gathering of observers is murmuring and I make eye contact with one man who clearly understands that, though she has more money than I just now, I will  vanquish in the end.

My strategy now will be to unmortgage all my properties and then build my expensive property slowly until she expires. All this is dawning on her, but when I make my usual offer of half the stake for a concession she merely shakes her head and breaks eye contact.

I will close this installment with a little thing that I do all the time.

I am now in jail and as always - with few exceptions - rolling for doubles instead of spending $500,000 to exit immediately. We each own property nearby and she lands on the third piece. It is worthless from my point of view so I will only bid up to the mortgage value. She auctions it and I bid accordingly up to $1 million. But I suspect that she will bid well over that so I add a tiny bid and she comes back with a preemptive bid of $2 million. I naturally fold.

All this does is further disable her in any transaction to come. I have very little cash now but I don't need much at all because I am firmly in the driver's seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment