Saturday, October 22, 2011

Monopolisto Man Cracks Vegas TWO

The Mexican is huge. He sits across from me and chews on a toothpick which he moves expertly from one side of his capacious mouth to the other. He smells of beer and tobacco. He laughs when I lead with CHANCE and am asked to pay rent for properties I don't yet own. He opens with a trip to the Mall, cheap seats. And naturally buys it.

My goal is to leave him with no stake at all ASAP. I am withdrawn, even morose.

"Say something!"

I smile weakly.

The next rolls are classic me. I catch a long ride to Johnson Space Center and buy it. My opponent lands on it and pays rent. We are even on money now.

I leap forward to Golden Gate Bridge at the start of the expensive properties. I auction it and he buys it for over the asking price. He moves to JFK Airport and and buys it. Almost half his $15 million stake is in the game now. Life is good.

There are whispers at my auction ploy.

On a capital day, I do not have to use the auction ploy too much. My opppnent comes around and manages to buy Las Vegas Boulevard (expensive) and another airport (expensive). Meanwhile I have come around the GO square and landed on Texas Stadium which he proceeds to visit when he comes around. He is close to broke cashwise. I have almost my beginning stake.

Hang in and you will see some fireworks.

I move to and buy Centennial Park and he lands there. I move to Pioneer Square and buy it. I then move to Hollywood adjacent to his Golden Gate property. I auction it and he pays a premium to gain two preferred spots, but he is now down to a shade over a million in cash. This paves the way for the next moves. He lands on Camelback Mountain and auctions it and I win it at a bargain price. He moves to the expensive Las Vegas Blvd and auctions it, mortgaging a property to up his cash stake, I overbid  and win at a bargain price. I ruin his chances on that triad. I have gambled that he will be too cash poor to do much even if he ends up with a monopoly.

Meanwhile, I have landed in jail where I happily roll for doubles as the Mexican continues to give me properties on the cheap. Fortuitously he lands on the most expensive one - Boardwalk and I obtain it at auction for well under the asking price. I have been spending modestly. He hovers at the brink of insolvency.

Then a bit of luck. I land on French Quarter and buy it outright to ruin the Mexican's chances on that expensive triad. In turn, he comes around and lands on Jacobs field, ruining my prospects for a small monopoly there. But the result of all of this is that I have a commanding cash lead and he is nearly broke. Plus, I am gradually closing off his options.

What of my options? He has two airports so I cannot squeeze him on that front. I have only one present shot at a monopoly. But what I have even more is control.That would be synonymous with money.

No comments:

Post a Comment